Monday, April 30, 2007

Introducing Mayor Candidate Buck Dozier of Nashville, TN

Norman “Buck” Dozier, Jr.


Most Nashvillians know Buck Dozier as the former Chief of the Metro Nashville Fire Department, where he served with distinction for 7 years. Under Chief Dozier’s leadership, the department was the first major metropolitan area fire department to achieve national accreditation.

Councilman Dozier is serving his third term as Councilman-At-Large. He is presently a Vice-President with Prime Mortgage.

His public service credentials extend far beyond holding public office. Under former Mayor Phil Bredesen, he served as special assistant for legislative affairs. Significant to his own growth and development, Councilman Dozier’s early career included teaching and coaching at David Lipscomb High School. From there, he went on to serve as the Family Life and Youth Minister at Madison Church of Christ for 14 years.

Councilman Dozier’s civic contributions are too numerous to mention in entirety. He has served on the Y-Cap Advisory Board, the Fellowship of Christian Athlete’s Board of Directors, the Salvation Army Advisory Board, while also serving as President of the Tennessee Christian Medical Center Advisory Board. Dozier was part of the Leadership Nashville class of 1995 and then was elected to serve as the group’s Alumni Association President.

The respect that he has earned from his fellow council members is embodied in his election as Pro-Tem of the Metro Council this last fiscal year. His experience in the field of public safety and emergency preparedness make him a perfect choice as this year’s Public Safety Chairman.

Buck attended Cohn High School and went on to get his B.S. Degree from Lipscomb University. He is married to Sandra Anderson of Nashville. They have two children, Sean and Shannon, who have begun their own families. Councilman Dozier is an elder at the Madison Church of Christ.


At a glance:

Occupation

Vice President, Prime Mortgage

Education

B.S. degree, David Lipscomb University
Cohn High School

Family

Wife, Sandra

One son and one daughter
Two grandchildren

Organizations

President of Nashville Fire Buffs
Member of Tennessee Fire Chiefs Association
Advisory board of the Tennessee Christian Medical Center

1 comment:

Faye Gentry Combs said...

I have been associated in some way with Buck Dozier for many years. My brother is a retired firefighter. I went to Cohn High School, Buck's alma mater. And most recently I approached Buck as a member of the Cohn High Alumni Association. I was seeking his help with the Metro School Board with some issues we had with maintenance at our old school. He approached that project like he does everything else - wholeheartedly holding nothing back. I was so impressed with Buck Dozier when he went to bat for his old high school. His commitment to that project spoke volumes to me about Buck's character. I thought, "This is a man who claims and cherishes his roots while moving upward and onward with his life."

I am somewhat of a "people gatherer." I get people together - usually old high school friends, and I have to tell you that the old high school grapevine usually ends right at my doorstep. In other words, if there's anything traveling the grapevine, I hear it - good or bad - I hear it. And I can tell you that I have yet to hear one bad thing about Buck Dozier through that old grapevine. Not one scandal, not one bad word. Buck conducts his life in a manner that does not produce this kind of chatter. He can be very proud of that fact.

I have watched Buck and listened to Buck very closely for the past couple of years. I like what he says, and I believe him. I believe him because he has by his actions created a sense of trust in me for his words and actions. Isn't that what we all want in an elected official? Don't we all want someone who speaks the truth; someone whose words we can trust?

Buck has a great campaign going on, and he is conducting it like he conducts his life - with honesty and integrity. He is relying on ordinary people to help him into the Mayor's office. He is not relying on deep pockets or big corporations - he is relying on ordinary people some of whom might own very small businesses.

I recently went to a forum where all the candidates for Mayor spoke on topics presented to them that evening. While every single one of the candidates mentioned education, Buck Dozier was the only candidate who came to that table with a plan to back his words - an innovative ingenious plan to shore up our schools without asking for taxes from the people of Nashville to do it.

I am looking forward to seeing Buck elected Mayor of this city. When that happens, some of my lost confidence in politics and the whole system will be restored.